Official 2010 KIPR Open FAQ

12 replies [Last post]
KIPR Matthew
KIPR Matthew's picture
Title: KIPR Staff
User offline. Last seen 5 years 3 weeks ago.

The 2010 KIPR Open FAQ

This post is the home of the 2010 KIPR Open FAQ. Updates and rules clarifications will be posted here. If you have questions that you would like addressed, leave them in a comment to this post or send an email to matthew.oelke@kipr.org . Check back for the latest information

1. When will the teams be notified of what side they are competing on for that run? (Green or Orange)
Teams will be notified prior to the start of the match. We can not guarantee how much time before, though. I would advise not having to re-download code based on which color side you are on.
2. Are the scoring items and other game pieces available for purchase?
You can buy the official game piece set from the Botball Store.
3. I'm having trouble finding the "lemonade stand" containers at stores around here. Can you provide measurements so we can at least mock up one from cardboard until we find some?
See post 2, we do offer the official ones. The measurements are 6" tall to tallest point, the top opening is 10" x 15", bottom is 14" x 9" and the size inside the outside bottom lip is 10" x 5". The tape line is 2.5" above the table when sitting open side down, bottom up as a "stand".
4. Clarification: The rules say the robot cannot go on to the opponent's side for 60 seconds. Is the center board where the pails are hanging a separate section of the game board and not on either side?
Also, do objects on top of the lemonade stand score if the stand is not touching the black tape designating the shoulder.
The center 4'x4' section does not belong to either side, and so you can occupy that space with in the first 60 seconds. Any object on your lemonade stand scores as noted in the table on page 19 of the slides and you just get bonus points if the stand is on the tape shoulder.
5. Can we paint our robot black? If not, what other colors are we not allowed to paint our robots?
Your robot can be what ever color you want it to be, provided that it does not interfere with the other team's color tracking. If you have to ask if it will interfere, paint it a different color. Last year I believe a team used blue targets to guide their robot back home (there were no blue game pieces). So a black robot is fine.
6. The “lemons” are described as “Yellow 1.5” poms” in the Game Review, but as “Small yellow foam balls” in the Botball Store Game Piece Set. Which one is correct??
They are 1.5" foam balls. According to LEGO they are piece number x35 which is described as a 41mm (about 1.6") ball, but all of them I have measured are 1.5". 41mm is similar in size to a golf ball, and the foam training golf balls are available in many places. The official yellow balls measure 1.5".
7. Do the Botguy multipliers apply to the 7 point bonuses for pairing Lemons and Water objects on top of the Stand? Same question for the 10 point bonus for contact with the Shoulder Black Line?
Yes and Yes. They way scoring will work with Botguy is that at the end of the round, all of your points will be added together and then multiplied by the Botguy multiplier (x2 or x3).
8.What is the size of the 2010 KIPR Open starting box? The documentation specifies 20.5" by 31.5", but the regular Botball game description has it at 22" by 31.5". There was a problem in the earlier Botball description, and the first value was changed to 22" in the current description. Hopefully the KIPR Open starting box is the same as the regular Botball game.
Yes, that is a typo. The official starting box size is 22" x 31.5" x 15", and should be the same size at the 2010 Botball game.
9. What is the definition of tampering for the CBC? Because its not like we want to modify any of the circuitry, but we do want to be able to stick some small bolts through from behind so then we can put an ifi plate on top of them and nuts on top of that so that we can better rigidify our mounts for the CBC to the iRobot Create.
For the KIPR Open that is fine (not okay for Botball). You are old enough and wise enough to understand how to do that and not harm any innards. I can not condone opening of the CBC, but a size 7 torx plus will help you along the way. You will also have to talk nice to any Tech Support people if you run into problems since your warranty will technically be voided.
10. Does the lemomade stand start touching (on top) of the starting box tape, or just beyond the tape? Can a robot start touching the lemonade stand, or will it have to drive out at least the two inches over the starting box tape to touch it? How close is the lemonade stand to the pipes around the fruit field? Can it be positioned a quarter inch away from the pipes?
The Lemonade stand will start so that the edge is just touching the edge of the black tape. Since the starting box is the inside edge of the black tape, you will have to move the width of the tape before touching the bucket. The bucket will also be placed so that it is touching the PVC that borders the fields.
11. Do objects have to be touching the surface of the game board in order to score in the shoulder area? The game rules only specify scoring for a teams side and not for the shoulder.
Yes. Remember that if you place an item in your shoulder it counts as negative points for you.
n/a
Jake_Hall
Jake_Hall's picture
Title: RocketBot
User offline. Last seen 12 years 6 hours ago.

Hello,

Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the game information or on the Botball store website. But I was wondering if there is a place to buy most of the scoring items.

The only thing I see that we can buy on the Botball store for game items is Botguy and the 4" Orange Poof Balls. Is it possible for Botball to create a category in the Botball store for Beyond Botball items.

I do not have and access to most of the scoring items.

Also what are the specifications on the hanging buckets? Where can they be purchased?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An error in the Beyond Botball V 1.0 handout:

On slide 17, bullet number four it states, "The Starting box and shoulder are defined by 2 inch wide black duct tapeas shown in slide 17."

I believe it is page 16.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQ

When will the teams be notified of what side they are competing on for that run? (Green or Orange)

Once again great game design!!!

Jake Hall
College Student

~Grand Valley State University Team Leader~
Beyond Botball: * Trinity College Robotics: * Mircomouse: * DARPA 2012:

KIPR Matthew
KIPR Matthew's picture
Title: KIPR Staff
User offline. Last seen 5 years 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for finding that Jake, if/when we update the slide I will be sure to fix that.

We are also putting the Beyond Botball Game Piece Set up in the store today.

The pails have a top outer diameter of 8.75", a bottom outer diameter of 5.125", and a height of 9". Then handle is .625" wide and is 17.325" long. We found them locally at an arts and crafts store, but I was informed that they are seasonal items. I found some listed on line as 9" pails, but I do not remember where.

Join the Botball folding at home team!
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team 87314 "Botball"
Stats: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=87314

Mr.CfromLee
Mr.CfromLee's picture
Title: NooBot+
User offline. Last seen 11 years 19 weeks ago.

I'm having trouble finding the "lemonade stand" containers at stores around here. Can you provide measurements so we can at least mock up one from cardboard until we find some?

Jeff Cumber
Lead Teacher, Robert E. Lee Engineering Academy

Team Coach, Robert E. Lee Robotics [Botball, IEEE RAS, Trinity College FireBot & RoboWaiter(hopefully)]

Team Leader, Team Scientias

EHS2010
User offline. Last seen 12 years 48 weeks ago.

Can we paint our robot black? If not, what other colors are we not allowed to paint our robots?

You're on our turf now.

redbaron148
Title: Former Botball Youth Advisory Council Member
User offline. Last seen 6 years 36 weeks ago.

In regards to scoring with fruits and lemonade and water on top of the lemonade stand. I saw that if an object was touching an object that is touching the top of the lemonade stand it was scored as if it was touching the top. What about if an object is touching an object that is touching an object that is touching the top of the lemonade stand? In other words, three objects stacked on top of each other with the bottom object touching the surface of the top of the lemonade stand. If the center of all three objects is within the vertical projection of the lemonade stand, do all three objects score as if they were on top of the lemonade stand? Thanks.

DesertRobotics
Title: NooBot
User offline. Last seen 9 years 16 weeks ago.

Clarification: The rules say the robot cannot go on to the opponent's side for 60 seconds. Is the center board where the pails are hanging a separate section of the game board and not on either side?
Also, do objects on top of the lemonade stand score if the stand is not touching the black tape designating the shoulder.

The game this year is quite challenging and well designed.

Desert Robotics

ekmanb
ekmanb's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 years 16 weeks ago.

Do the Botguy multipliers apply to the 7 point bonuses for pairing Lemons and Water objects on top of the Stand? Same question for the 10 point bonus for contact with the Shoulder Black Line?

ekmanb
ekmanb's picture

What is the size of the starting box? The documentation specifies 20.5" by 31.5", but the Botball game description has it at 22" by 31.5". There was a problem in the earlier Botball description, and the first value was changed to 22" in the current description.

ekmanb
ekmanb's picture

What is the definition of tampering for the CBC? Because its not like we want to modify any of the circuitry, but we do want to be able to stick some small bolts through from behind so then we can put an ifi plate on top of them and nuts on top of that so that we can better rigidify our mounts for the CBC to the iRobot Create.

Many Thanks,
Zach Baer

ekmanb
ekmanb's picture

Does the lemomade stand start touching (on top) of the starting box tape, or just beyond the tape? Can a robot start touching the lemonade stand, or will it have to drive out at least the two inches over the starting box tape to touch it? How close is the lemonade stand to the pipes around the fruit field? Can it be positioned a quarter inch away from the pipes?