New 2014 Botball game

17 replies [Last post]
dman001
Title: NooBot
User offline. Last seen 4 years 8 weeks ago.

I have been wondering what the new Botball game will have? So I was thinking if there will be stacking like the 2013 Botball game. I'm guessing that there will be color sorting.

dman001
User offline. Last seen 4 years 8 weeks ago.

I forgot to mention that my group and I are working on the light sensor. Also this kid in my class discovered how to find the readings for a slide and sonar sensor. Which I thought was pretty cool and useful. If you find a way to use it.

Beta
Beta's picture
Title: The Magnificent
User offline. Last seen 3 years 44 weeks ago.

The details of the 2014 game will be made publicly available around mid-January with the advent of the Oklahoma Botball 2014 Workshop. We are definitely weighing a lot of options, and have a provisional game already created. Please stay tuned!

Thanks

Braden McDorman

Developer of the KIPR Link, KISS IDE, KIPR's 2D Simulator, and CBCJVM.

Reach me at bmcdorman(cat)kipr(dog)org where (cat)=@ and (dog)=. if you need assistance of any kind.

reggiec
reggiec's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 years 5 weeks ago.

reach you how? and where?

Reggie Clark

Jesus Arzapalo
User offline. Last seen 1 year 23 weeks ago.

Will the game use stacking this year and does anyone have an idea of how tall a robot would have to reach to stack in the new game? Thank you.

Jeremy Rand
Jeremy Rand's picture
Title: Botball Youth Advisory Council
User offline. Last seen 2 years 30 weeks ago.

You'll be stacking water balloons, up to 15 feet high. Don't tell anyone I told you.

I jest, but any answers you may see here at this point are probably just as uninformed. KIPR's pretty good at keeping secrets.

n/a
Harrison Cassar
User offline. Last seen 2 years 44 weeks ago.

Yes, I would assume that there will be stacking and color sorting. Botball bases their boards' task off of things that are new and provide a challenge for both rookie and veteran teams. Also, I would assume that a few of the tasks on the board will provide perfect places to incorporate the sensors that Botball provides you in their kits. The reason for this is because not many teams use the variety of sensors (that means the pentiometer sensor, the slide, and the Infrared "Break-Beam" sensor).

Harrison Cassar

I also am wondering if they will incorporate moving parts on the Botball board, just like the 2013 Aerial Drone competition. It would definitely see as a challenge for many teams, especially how many teams just use dead-reckoning. By having moving parts, it forces teams to either take the risk of getting hit by the moving part and ruining the program OR use sensors to detect when to go.

Jeremy Rand
Jeremy Rand's picture
Title: Botball Youth Advisory Council
User offline. Last seen 2 years 30 weeks ago.

Hi Harrison,

KIPR staff (in particular David Miller) have stated that they are very nervous about incorporating moving parts in the standard Botball game, mainly because if a moving part malfunctions, a team might request a redo. I was honestly very surprised when they used moving targets in KIPR Aerial in 2011 and 2013. It would be really cool to have in Botball, but I wouldn't expect it.

-Jeremy Rand
Senior Programmer, Team SNARC (2012-2013), Norman Advanced (2010-2011), Norman HS (2008-2009), Norman North (2005-2007), Whittier MS (2003-2004)
2012-2013 VP of Tech, 2011 President, Botball YAC (2009-2013)
Mentor, Alcott and Whittier MS

Harrison Cassar

Oh I see. That makes sense. We do not want to add more confusion/troubles to the Botball game. Thank you for your reply!

Ben jamin'
Ben jamin''s picture
User offline. Last seen 4 years 3 weeks ago.

Well in most Bot Ball and FLL boards there is a black line on the board. And with this in mind you can use the light sensor navigate around the board. Also color sorter is a big factor. I think you are better off working on a color sorter rather than a stacking robot, just to play it on the safe side! However I do think stacking is going to be in the 2014 board. I not for sure but on Face Book Bot Ball is hinting towards stacking. All in all it is your call, you could risk it, but I would play on the safe side and go with color sorter. Hope this helps. Sorry if this confuses you, but this is just my opinion!