2014 Rules Questions

5 replies [Last post]
OneLastTry
Title: NooBot
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago.

We have several questions about the rules this year:

1. The scoring table lists opponents' hangers as scoring positively for you if placed on your rack- is this correct?
    • If so, is "your" rack defined as the one closest to your starting box? Otherwise, does it not matter which side you place your hangers on?
  2. Is the height of the starting box 15in?
  3. What is the exact definition of "hanging" for botguy? Especially for the lower rack. Can a robot be touching botguy?

Thanks!

Jeremy Rand
Jeremy Rand's picture
Title: Botball Youth Advisory Council
User offline. Last seen 2 years 29 weeks ago.

I second these questions.

Also: the side bin is not labeled in the diagram. Is it the upper or lower storage area from the Botball game board?

-Jeremy Rand
Senior Programmer, Team SNARC (2012-2013), Norman Advanced (2010-2011), Norman HS (2008-2009), Norman North (2005-2007), Whittier MS (2003-2004)
2012-2013 VP of Tech, 2011 President, Botball YAC (2009-2013)
Mentor, Alcott and Whittier MS

Joka
User offline. Last seen 3 years 18 weeks ago.

Hi everyone,

I'm a new user to this forum and this is the first post I'm trying so bear with me.

I second (or third since Jeremy already seconded) OneLastTry's post. In addition to those questions I have a few more:

1) On the two hangers that we are allowed to place in the start box, can we attach anything to those hangers? Say we bind the two hangers together with a rubber band, is that legal?

2) I would like some clarification on the "hanging" of Botguy - does he have to be off the table? Assuming the hanger(s) that he was attached to was placed on the lower rack, it is quite possible that Botguy would still be resting on the table.

3) Again with Botguy - does the hook need to be touching a hanger on the rack to count? What if Botguy was just jammed through the hanger but the hook was dangling out in space, does this still count?

ekmanb
ekmanb's picture
Title: NooBot+
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 2 days ago.

During seeding rounds, can we adjust the positions of all four Botguys in their respective PVC boxed off areas?

John L. Scott
User offline. Last seen 23 weeks 16 hours ago.

Hello. I am sure everyone has their hands full preparing for GCER. There are 12 days to go at this point. It's staring to get a little tight and I am getting anxious about some of the unanswered questions here. For instance, Bob's question has been pending for over two weeks. Some strategies depend on the answer.

In addition to Bob's question, I have a couple more:

1. The rules state that robots may press "against the interior edge of any game board PVC bordering the starting area." Since the PVC is round, does this mean that the robot can only press against the PVC at the mid-point (at the vertical tangent)? Or can the robot touch the PVC anywhere along the portion of the circumference facing the interior of the starting box (for instance, underneath the PVC)?

2. The Botball rules disallow radio communication between robots on the same team. Are KIPR Open robots allowed to use radio communication?

Thanks!

John L. Scott
User offline. Last seen 23 weeks 16 hours ago.

Another question:

During the seeding rounds, are we permitted to position the opposite side's hangers as we wish within the opposite side's starting box?