Nissan says it will bring multiple self-driving cars to market by 2020 (via The Verge)

10 replies [Last post]
Jeremy Rand
Jeremy Rand's picture
Title: Botball Youth Advisory Council
User offline. Last seen 7 years 20 weeks ago.

Botballers will be happy to learn that there will be some competition in the autonomous car market.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/27/4664272/nissan-will-bring-self-driving...

-Jeremy Rand
Senior Programmer, Team SNARC (2012-2013), Norman Advanced (2010-2011), Norman HS (2008-2009), Norman North (2005-2007), Whittier MS (2003-2004)
2012-2013 VP of Tech, 2011 President, Botball YAC (2009-2013)
Mentor, Alcott and Whittier MS

Harrison Cassar
Title: NooBot
User offline. Last seen 7 years 34 weeks ago.

Wow, that sounds interesting! I can't wait until that time comes!
Whenever I think about the technology we have today, and compare it to the technology we had 10 years ago, I am always amazed at how quickly we are discovering these new, innovative solutions to modern-day computing, driving, even public locations! (such as automated subway ticket booths)

Ben jamin'
Ben jamin''s picture
User offline. Last seen 8 years 45 weeks ago.

Yes, I agree. I bet in the future our children will think programing creates and links are old school! Ah, well self-driving cars sounds crazy! The sound of that is mind blowing! Soon we will not even need to walk. Technology is advancing at an unbelieving rate. If this is true this is crazy cool!

Jesus Arzapalo
User offline. Last seen 6 years 13 weeks ago.

Yes I agree but also there is a problem emerging. This type of technology would be cool and I support it but only if it is eco-friendly. Also when people won't have to walk we will be in big trouble, if people stop exercising we will all go obese. I know it sounds really far-fetched but Steve Jobs even said this "Smartphones these days are getting skinnier and smarter, humans the opposite." I disagree with the part of us becoming unintelligent because many people I have met this year like YuSheng and Harrison I bet are smarter than most robotics students 10 or 20 years ago. We just have to keep a balance, which I am certain many people won't. This leaves earth with a deadline to become greener. I think if we don't start using this technology for better uses like a hydrogen powered car soon then we will be doomed.

Brandon
User offline. Last seen 8 years 32 weeks ago.

Jesus has a good point but it still is pretty cool.

YuSheng.Chen
User offline. Last seen 8 years 34 weeks ago.

Ah, eco friendly huh. Well, check out the Tesla model S. Completely, 100% driven by electricity. Eco friendly at it's finest.

ruler501
ruler501's picture
User offline. Last seen 7 years 21 weeks ago.

What is needed to generate that electricity the car is using though...

YuSheng.Chen

Yes, according to the first law of thermodynamics, you cannot get more out than what you put in. But, everybody knows that electricity is more eco-friendly than gasoline. And, you could harness the power of kinetic energy. Although, at this stage in human technological development, it is not very efficient, but, we are getting closer and closer to it. The power of electromagnetism in which you can suspend a rotating magnetic field to generate motion via magnetic motion. Magnetic motion can cause heat which is acquired from friction in the air or simply quantum particles, which too, according to the first law, cannot be everlasting. But, the universe have such a large amount of matter that harnessing kinetic energy would be quite eco-friendly. Heat is a form of energy and thus, it can possibly be turned into electricity. Or, perhaps one day we won't need electricity and we would just be driving cars which are driven with simply a rail-gun like track. The future holds a lot of things, but for the present, electricity is already a quantum leap. And, don't forget quantum particles with a huge amount of kinetic motion but, it cannot be harnessed because an external thermodynamic force will cause quantum deterioration.

ruler501
ruler501's picture

Actually I hate to say it but in terms of CO2 output electricity is worse(at least in current state)

http://www.epa.gov/cleanenergy/energy-and-you/affect/coal.html 2,249 lb/MWh coal
http://www.mychevroletvolt.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-charge-a-chevy-volt 2.7kWh/mile
2249/(1000*2.7)= 0.83296296296 lb/mile running on electricity

http://www.epa.gov/OTAQ/climate/documents/420f11041.pdf 8,887 grams/gallon
8,887 grams/gallon = 19.5925 lb/gallon
http://www.mychevroletvolt.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-charge-a-chevy-volt 25 miles/gallon
19.5925 / 25 = 0.7837 lb/mile

0.83296296296/0.7837 * 100% = 106.285946531% more CO2 emissions in electrical cars than a car running at 25 miles/gallon

YuSheng.Chen

But, in terms of global economics, it is more efficient. Carbon Dioxide is a problem that needs to be addressed, but, it is not that big of a problem once you come to think of it. Look at all the skyscrapers, they will emit more carbon dioxide than cars will even if all cars run on electricity. The problem we need to address first, if you talk about carbon dioxide, is skyscrapers. Carbon Dioxide emission is everywhere. At least, with electricity driven cars, we can eliminate the global fuel and coal disaster problem.

ruler501
ruler501's picture

So in what way is gas worse than electricity(generated by coal since that is the largest producer currently http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=427&t=3)? It seems like you are saying there are more problems from other sources but not backing up that it is any better than gas.