2010 Kit

30 replies [Last post]
MechaYu
Title: NooBot
User offline. Last seen 13 years 14 weeks ago.

Hello everyone I am Mechanic Yu from team 0116. During this year, I had a few annoyances with the parts. Note, I am not a big electronics guy so I am mostly going to post actual Lego and IFI parts.

LEGO Parts:
- More Pins with Friction: Even though there are already 118 of these in the kit, I found that I ran out of them quite quickly. These parts are extremely useful for firmly connecting liftarm pieces. (~150)
- Less Pins without Friction: These pins are mainly used for connecting liftarm parts and allowing them to spin freely. In most cases, axles sufficed for this task, and the pins were just used to join the liftarms together. For this task, the pins with friction are better. (~4)
- More Long Pins with Friction (~60) and Less Long Pins without Friction (~4): For the same reason as the above two.
- More 1 x 09 Liftarm Bent 6 x 3: These liftarm pieces are extremely useful in constructing claws and grabbing devices. There were 7 of these this year, but it would be beneficial to have more. (~10)
- More 1 x 2 Liftarm Thins: These pieces come in handy when two axles right next to each other are needed to be joined. I used 8 of the 10 that were given this year in the first claw, and I needed to recycle them and improvise for the second claw. (~16)
- More 1 x 3 Liftarm Thins: Once again, another useful liftarm piece that was in short order during the creation of claws. (~20)
- More 1 x 4 Liftarm Thins: Once again, another useful liftarm piece that was in short order during the creation of claws.(~20)

IFI Parts:
- More Gusset Pluses: There were only 2 in the entire kit, and they are a great way to implement Lego parts onto the IFI Parts. As such, there should be more included (~4)
- More Gusset Pivots: The empty channel on the Gusset Pivot piece that runs on the outside of the piece was very useful because the grid patterns of the IFI parts were often times too restrictive. More should be included (~4)
- More Gusset Angles: Angled pieces, whether Lego or IFI are always very useful because they let you change the direction something like a motor or servo is facing. More should be included (~4)
- More Silver Screws 6-32 1/2 in: These are the only screws that can be applied directly to Lego parts (they can be screwed directly into a + hole in a Lego piece without the use of a nut on the other end. More than just 16 should be included (~24)
- Less Plastic Rivets: While these can be useful, they break apart quite easily when put under strain, and in many cases they lack the joining power of things like screws. Usually them breaking is not a problem because there are so many included in the kit; however, it would be better if there were just less of these and more of other parts, like the 6-32 1/2 in silver screws.

That is a list of what I think should be changed for the 2010 Botball kit. It is quite a tall order, so I understand that not all of these requests can be included. Also, if anyone from another team believes that my requests are unjustified, please feel free to refute me!

Hopefully some of these changes will be implemented. As I said earlier, I am no electrician so I am not quite considering how many servos, motors, sensors, encoders, etc. that the team will need. (someone else should post with that ;])

If you have read all the way to the end of the post, then thanks for reading it all! Thank you for your consideration!

KIPR Matthew
KIPR Matthew's picture
Title: KIPR Staff
User offline. Last seen 5 years 3 weeks ago.

This is great feed back guys, keep it up!

Join the Botball folding at home team!
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team 87314 "Botball"
Stats: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=87314

Creighton
User offline. Last seen 10 years 46 weeks ago.

More extensions cords for the servos and motors.

Better method of mounting the sensors.

Camera with wires instead of the flex-tube.

Jeremy Rand
Jeremy Rand's picture
Title: Botball Youth Advisory Council
User offline. Last seen 7 years 18 weeks ago.

Agreed Creighton, more extension cables would be great, as would a camera cable more similar to the XBCCam Cable. Also, a USB extender cable for the camera would be nice to have.

(Also, welcome to the Botball forums, Creighton!)

-Jeremy Rand
Senior Programmer, Team SNARC (2012-2013), Norman Advanced (2010-2011), Norman HS (2008-2009), Norman North (2005-2007), Whittier MS (2003-2004)
2012-2013 VP of Tech, 2011 President, Botball YAC (2009-2013)
Mentor, Alcott and Whittier MS

Jake_Hall
Jake_Hall's picture
Title: RocketBot
User offline. Last seen 12 years 4 hours ago.

Possibly a Gyro Sensor, that can be placed on the robots to auto correct their positions when being bumped into by another robot or when running into an obstacle.

The number of pieces provided in the kit I believe are perfect. When teaching students how to brainstorm and come up with new ideas on how to build mechanical structures, they have to learn how to manage the pieces that are given to them and not over build and over complicate certain designs.

Also has much thought been given into Lego Pneumatics? That would be a great thing for people to be introduced to.

Jake Hall
College Student

~Grand Valley State University Team Leader~
Beyond Botball: * Trinity College Robotics: * Mircomouse: * DARPA 2012:

2013FMHessLu
User offline. Last seen 13 years 12 weeks ago.

Yes I agree we ran out of Servos and Motors very quickly. I would also like to see more lego parts and IFI Parts.

LHess

2013FMHessLu
User offline. Last seen 13 years 12 weeks ago.

Sorry just learning how to use this but i forgot also maybe a small tilt sensor that can be mounted easily.

LHess

matthewbot
Title: YAC
User offline. Last seen 12 years 11 weeks ago.

I wish we could just get a magic sensor to correct our positions, but unfortunately a gyro isn't it, as it only measures angular rate of rotation. Integrating them to calculate heading will drift over time as well. I'd prefer a compass, as it could give a consistent heading over time, but I don't believe the CBC's ADC has the resolution and voltage reference to read one accurately, as most are 3V sensors and recommend at least 12-bit resolution.

--
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.

Albert Einstein

Project Quadcopter: http://quadcopter.wordpress.com/

JamesL
JamesL's picture
Title: MiniBot+
User offline. Last seen 13 years 9 weeks ago.

Maybe taking into consideration of a list of what pieces we can use, but an infinite amount, like from previous years?

Jake_Hall
Jake_Hall's picture
Title: RocketBot
User offline. Last seen 12 years 4 hours ago.

//insert laughing voice here

A couple of cases of Mountain Dew or energy drinks would be appreciated I am sure by the students for the season if it were included in the kit :)

//insert laughing voice here

Jake Hall
College Student

~Grand Valley State University Team Leader~
Beyond Botball: * Trinity College Robotics: * Mircomouse: * DARPA 2012: